Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Sign of Hope?

Yesterday I drove by a sign that said, "Burning in hell for those without Jesus Christ."   This sign was planted right in front of a building where people who supposedly have Jesus Christ meet on a regular basis.  And their proclamation was "Burning in hell..."  I cannot properly describe the physical and emotional response I felt at that moment.  I've seen signs like this before, but never felt such a powerful anger and disgust over them.  I guess I am just on edge right now.  But because while it is factual, it seems almost unforgivable and perverted for this to be presented as The Big Message of a gathering of God's people. 

Lots of people in different situations are going to drive by that sign.  People who are already saved will either respond with smugness or sadness.  People who are lost will either respond with anger or indifference. The problem is, the kind of person who would consider coming to Jesus, a person who is weighted down by the sin in their life, a person who has a deep need, a person who is lost and hurting, will not be ministered to by that stupid sign.  It will only further convince them of their hopeless situation.  So why put it up there.  So I called the church and let them have it!  Just kidding.  I did call though, and state my case.  We will see if it gets a better message next time.

Noun1.reconciliationreconciliation - the reestablishing of cordial relations
 
Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,  that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.  2 Corinthians 5:18-19    

2 comments:

  1. At the church we were at in WV, one of the women had a very strong passion about protesting abortion. Really, she had a wonderful story. She was the result of a failed abortion attempt. However, her tactics were to put signs of aborted fetuses on the church lawn. A friend of mine that went to church with us told me about her sister who had had an abortion many years before. I'm sure I don't have to tell you the kind of life long devastation that would incur to someone that had had an abortion. I don't think anyone knew the wrongness of her actions more than she did. She grieved it every day. But, because of those signs, she had determined that there was no grace to be offered for her in church and vowed to never go in one again. Thankfully, Jesus' love isn't confined to a building. I pray that she experiences it in other places. But it's very sad to me when these kind of tactics keep someone from being able to get the kind of healing that Jesus offers.

    I see your point about being torn between blogging and doing something productive.. These are things I struggle with as well. Did you know that you can write a post and then schedule what time it is to be posted? I usually make most of my posts at 5:00 o'clock in the morning before the rest of the family is moving. I have a very hard time sitting down ever. In fact, usually, my laptop is on my kitchen counter where I can go back and forth while I'm washing dishes or something.

    But, maybe it will help to know that this is how most current writers got their start. It may be more productive than you think.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is at least productive for me. I like taking time to look at the spiritual, personal and social activity in my life with the purpose of seeing how God is in it. Writing forces that to happen where otherwise I might just keep rolling along without introspection, etc. I am really enjoying the fellowship of "comments" too. And I love you, too, Dana and am thankful you led the way with your blog. You are truly God's woman and He is using you to bless many.

    ReplyDelete